|Public Services (Uniformed) - Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma
Level: 3 Duration: 2 Years
Other Details: September 2017
What is this course about?
This exciting 2 year course is designed to equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge to enter a career within the uniformed public services. The careers include: the police, fire service, army, navy, RAF, prison service and customs and excise.
You will study a range of interesting subjects some theoretical and some practical. You will also have the opportunity to attend a 5 day Army residential as part of your studies to learn new skills such as team working, problem solving and leadership skills .You should expect to take part in fitness activities as part of the course, as well as enrichment activities. Guest speakers from public services visit us at the college and you will also have some opportunities to visit them.
Why choose this course?
We have developed excellent links with local uniformed services and organise exciting trips and visiting speakers. All students have the opportunity to take part in residential trips. In 2016 the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Uniformed Services achieved a 100% pass rate. Many of our students decide to go to university and study a range of degrees across the UK.
What will my timetable look like?
- You will be in College for 4 days a week. During that time you will spend time in gym and classrooms developing the theoretical and practical skills to equip you with knowledge required to work in the public service sector.
- You will be required to complete a work experience unit and carry out voluntary work.
- You will also have a 1 hour tutorial session with your assigned Personal Tutor who will cover your tutorial times. This will support you in applying for UCAS, development of your CV and prepare you for the world of work. They will also help you manage your work load with an individual learning plan.
- You will also spend time in the classroom learning the theory behind the subject and preparing for your assessments and working on your assignment briefs.
- You will spend 3 hours in Maths unless you have passed your GCSE already.
A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grades A*- C or numerical equivalent including a grade 4 in English Language.
Are there any costs associated with the course?
You will need stationary and a pen drive. Uniformed Services/Sports kit (Details will be given out at enrolment) and you may wish to purchase Edexel BTEC Level 3 Public Services book 1 & 2.
What will this course lead on to?
Students can progress to university to study a variety of degrees including Public Services, Politics, Criminal Justice, Psychology, Exercise and Fitness. Alternatively, students can progress to employment in the Uniformed Services.
Help and advice will be given throughout the course.